Thursday, June 5, 2014

Battle Report: Orks vs Tau

Hey this is Big Kev, sorry for the delay. The site will be up fully by the time the 4th episode is out. Once that is released we will be pushing out posts fairly often. But in the mean time, enjoy this small batrep of a game I played yesterday. Unfortunately I was unable to take pictures as the other player did not want me to when I asked if it was alright with her. So I recreated the game to the best of my abilities with Vassal. So here we go.


We played 1250pts using 7th edition.  I brought 1 Big Mek with a Shokk Attack Gun, 10 Lootas, 3 Nobs on Warbikes (2 Nobs have Power Klaws), 11 Choppa 'Ard Boyz with a PK Nob that has a Trukk as DT, 15 Shoota Boyz with a Nob, Dakka Jet with 3 Supa Shootas, 3 Killa Kans with Grotzookas, a Looted Wagon with a Boomgun, and an Aegis Defense Line with a Quad Gun. For Warlord Traits, I rolled on the Command Table and acquired Target Priority, which allowed me to reroll To Hit rolls of 1 within 12" of my Warlord.

My Tau opponent brought with her Aun'Va, two 12 man Firewarrior teams with Marker Drones, a Riptide with its normal trimmings as well as an Ion Accelerator and a Smart Missile System. She as brought a 3 man Crisis Suit team each with a Missle Pod and a Twin-Linked Flamer. Next, she brought in a 5 squad Pathfinder team with Markerlights and 1 Rail Rifle, a 3 squad Piranha with Burst Cannons and Gun Drones. Last but not least she brought two 3 man Broadside teams with high yield missile pods and smart missile systems. She has Exemplar of a Selfless Cause as her Warlord Trait which allowed all friendly units that have gone to ground to no longer be GtG and can move and shoot normally.


Next we rolled for mission which we picked Eternal War since we dont have the Maelstrom of War objective cards. We rolled Crusade and Dawn of War with 3 objectives rolled. We then set up terrain and placed the objective markers down. The picture below displays what the board looked like at set up.

Next we rolled to see who deploys first. She won the roll and told me to deploy first, which I so happily did. I set up my Aegis in a way that allowed my to have LOS across 80% of the board and placed my Lootas, Big Mek, LW, Shootas, and Kans behind it. I then put my Bikers and Trukk right up front, in hopes that she wont seize.

She deployed and put her Broadsides and Aun'Va on top of the hill on her side with her Piranhas at the bottom. She placed her Crisis Suits behind a ruin on the edge of the board with her Pathfinders behind them. After that, her Firewarriors were placed along the deployment line along with her Riptide.

She failed to seize which was my saving grace as she would have hit me hard. On my movement phase I moved my bikers straight forward and behind the rock formation. I then moved my truck 13" (red paint job) and was able to get behind cover. Next was my Kans and moved them over my Line and up to the ruin. My shootas were the last to move, in which I made a mad dash over the Line, in hopes of rolling high on my run. Shooting phase went well. I first made my turbo boost and run rolls (which went very well) and moved my bikers forward even more and ran my kans even farther as well as put my Shootas in the ruin and near the objective which turn out to be Scatterfield (Mysterious Objectives) and made anyone in that ruin have a 3+ cover save, which made me excited for just about 5 seconds until I remember markerlights. Next the actual shooting commenced. I fired off with my Boomgun at his pathfinders and scored a wound on all of them and kill 3 Pathfinders. Didnt do anything the the Crisis suits nearby. Next were my Lootas and Big Mek, which aimed for the leftmost Broadside team and utterly annihilated them. Due to The Paradox of Duality on Aun'Va, i did nothing to her warlord when my Shokk Attack Gun scattered onto him. And thus finished my turn.
Then it was her movement phase in which she moved Aun'Va behind her broadside, moved her Piranhas forward, moved up her Firewarrior teams to get closer to my troops, and moved her Crisis team forward. Then she opened hell upon me. She fired her Riptide at my Kans completely killing 1 and putting 1 HP on another. She used her Firewarriors to destroy my Trukk but only wrecked it. She exploded my Looted Wagon with her Broadsides and took some Lootas with her Piranhas. Her remaining Firewarrior team killed a small handful of Shootas as well, which ended her turn.
Turn 2 did not involve a whole lot of moving except for my Dakka Jet and was able to come from reserves. My 'Ard Boyz posistioned themselves as close as possible to her Firewarrior team, my bikes and Kans did the same to the Riptide and other Firewarrior team respectively. My Shootas were reposistion inside the ruin to gain control of the objective once again and my Dakka Jet came on board behind my Big Mek and moved towards the Crisis Team. Now we go onto my shooting phase. First off I initiated WAAAAGGHH!!! and open fired with my Dakka Jet onto his Crisis Team and killed the squad. Next was my 'Ard Boyz with their Sluggas on the Firewarrior team that was right in front of them only killing 2 drones. Next went my Kans which open fired with their Grotzookas and scored a Hit on all of the scatter rolls and kill 8 of the 14 models. My Shootas open fired on the Piranhas but she jinked them and saved them all. My Lootas and Big Mek targeted his Warlord which she forgot to attach to the Broadsides. With my Warlord Trait i was able to kill off his Warlord and his Honor Guard. Then it was my Assault Phase. I assaulted her Firewarrior team with my Kans and killed the last of them. I then assaulted her remaining Firewarrior team with my 'Ard Boyz and chopped up every last one of them with only taking 1 casualty. In both cases Overwatch did not do anything. Next I assaulted her Riptide with my bikers and destroyed it with my Power Klaws.

After my turn ended, she conceded and we packed up. All in all it went well. She should not have allowed my to go first and that was what allowed me to win since I was able to get across the board with minimal casualties. Anyways, this is my first Battle Report so im sure its not in the best format but I hope you enjoyed it.

-Big Kev

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Tau should really always go first, with marker lights and 30" range, low armour armies like guard and orks will suffer. Played a tau player the other week, and only just won due to objectives, but apart from that I was getting tabled! If we had had time to get more than 3 turns in I would have been severely beaten and all cos of first turn shooting killing off a large part of my guard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I think she wanted me to deploy first and for her to seize so she would have the advantage of setting up after me. Its too much of a risk for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, way to much of a risk. It doesn't make much sense either, just position the fire warriors in the centre, infiltrate the path finders where needed and first turn move to get your shots off. I know it's easy to say but it's the way every tau player I know plays and it works.

      Delete